Monday, May 31, 2010

Go on little girl.

"Still too young to fail, too scared to sail away. But one of these days, I'll grow old and I'll grow brave."

For as long as I can remember, I have had the kind of people in my life who are my hawks. They watch my every move, they criticize and judge and hate. They are the people who hold me back and tie me down. The ones who say "No, you can't." So I curl back into my shell and hide until someone tells me that maybe I can do something.. And then once again, shoot back inside of myself as soon as there's a chance of failure. But I'm learning that I have never given myself permission to live. I am always seeking the permission from someone or other to tell me it's "safe enough" to put my feet in the waters. But not all the way! Just for a test dip.

I don't want to live that way anymore. I want to do what I want to do, when I want to do it. I want to jump in feet first and if I fail, then I will fail. But how will I ever know where my life is going to take me or what my grand plan is if I don't? I won't. I will be stuck in my shell for the rest of my days, miserable.

This is my life. This is my heart. My feelings, my dreams, my goals, my accomplishments, my failures. They are all mine. No one can take those away from me anymore.

I am learning to be strong and I am learning to be brave, and although it has taken me so long to understand what this means, there is no better time than now to start living my own life.

Thank you to everyone who doubts me and fears for me. Because you have given me an opportunity to wave my middle finger in the air and say "Yes! I can."

I will take chances, I will fail and I will succeed, I will learn to love and learn to trust. And all of this is OK.

I AM ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment