Sunday, April 25, 2010

Only the sweetest things.

"If I make you smile, if I make you think of all that's right in the world, then stay.
If you can find comfort in my eyes and seeing my face is the best part of your day, then don't be afraid what a small simple word could do.
I won't stay unless you ask me to."


How are we ever supposed to know who is going to stick around and who is just going to tear us apart? Are there really ever any signs? For me, trusting that someone is going to stick around is near impossible. I don't ever plan on forever, I plan on "until later". I've grown so comfortable in that mind set that as soon as I meet someone who I feel might have the potential to actually be true to what they say, I sabotage the relationship until they do leave. I don't ask people to stay, I don't fight for them to stick around no matter how much I wish they would. But the funny thing is, when they do leave.. After I have pushed them to the point of saying "I'm done.", I blame them. I get so angry at them for never seeing that I wanted them so badly. So the last time I was about to make one of the biggest mistakes of my life by letting this man walk right out of my life, I swallowed my pride and loosened my teeth from the tight grip I had on my tongue and said it. "Stay." That four letter word took all of the breath I had inside of me. But, surprisingly enough, as soon as the words left my lips I felt okay. I checked my pulse, my heart was still beating. So far so good. I looked up at him and I had never felt so sure of anything. I didn't know if we would work, I didn't ask him for forever. I just asked him to stay. Long enough to figure out what all of this is, long enough for us to have an "us". And it felt good.

My fear of commitment wasn't demolished by that one simple step, but it did bring me closer to something. To someone. There is never nor will there ever be a big red flashing sign in front of us with it's sirens and fireworks saying "Hey! This ones a keeper! Make sure you're good to him!". We just have to roll with the punches and follow our hearts and always hope for the best.
So if they make you smile, if they make you think of all that's still good in this world.. Ask them to stay. If you can find comfort in someones eyes and seeing their face is the best part of your day..Don't lose them over the petty stuff. Who knows, maybe we are all just programmed to leave unless we're asked not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment